Saturday, February 9, 2008

Fabulous Flats - Bruschetta

The world is becoming flat-- and getting even flatter!!

While cruising the aisles of Wholefoods Market this week, I came across a promotional item made by no other than Fabulous Flats. I decided to try the Garlic Naan made with stoneground whole-grain flour. It's egg free & contains no hydrogenated oils or trans fats, nor preservatives. Even better.. only 150 calories!:)


When I got home, I couldn't decide what to do with it and not being very hungry.. a light supper sounded good to me, and I was being very lazy! LOL So I decided to put together a Bruschetta. After unwrapping the flats (2 per pckg) I took one and brushed it with herbed olive oil, then sprinkled it with some sliced plum tomatoes, chopped bunching onions, a handful of fresh baby spinach, a sprinkling of freshly grated pecorino cheese and topped it off with some fresh mozzarella & just a little drizzle more of olive oil over all before popping it into a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes on a pizza pan. Yum! I served it with a garden salad & cantelope pieces.
I'm really liking Fabulous Flats a lot!

Bruschetta is toasted bread seasoned with garlic and olive oil, commonly served warm as an appetizer, snack, or side dish. The name comes from the Italian word bruscare, which means "to roast over coals." Many variations of bruschetta exist; adding tomatoes, other vegetables or beans is common.

The simplest form of bruschetta starts with Tuscan bread, toasted either over coals or in a toaster. Rub the toasted slices with a cut clove of garlic, and then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Salt and pepper the prepared bruschetta if desired. As a tradition, bruschetta serves to test the new harvest of olive oil each year.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I always love bruschetta no matter when, where or with whom! And this looks delicious.. :)

YankeeSoaper said...

Thanks so much Laurie, me too! I've added you to another family blog I keep. I just love your blog ;)