Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Eggs Benedict

I’m not a big breakfast eater during the week, eating more on the lighter side. oatmeal, granola, assorted fruits or a muffin, but on the weekends I like a leisurely late breakfast and one of my favorite morning meals is Eggs Benedict. During the warmer months we enjoy going to one of our favorite eateries here, The Merriland Farm where you can simply enjoy a wonderful meal while sitting on the patio among the perennial gardens.. sipping fresh raspberry mimosa’s and all the while you will be having a heck of a time deciding on the breakfast menu.

They serve up a splendid assortment of benedicts, scrumptious omelets, berry laden Belgian waffles, awesome crepes and home made tea breads, made with fruits grown on their own farm. Among my favorites is the Jameison Benedict.. homemade English muffin, poached egg, fresh asparagus, Canadian bacon topped with hollandaise. The farm won’t re-open until early spring here and I’ve just been having a hankering for eggs Benedict, so I made my own Jameison, less the bacon and imagined it was a warm summery morning and I was sitting on the patio enjoying every bit of it. I think I’ll be able to manage the 27 more days left until Spring now :D



Hollandaise sauce is a real treat for me, and my favorite. It’s so simple to prepare and yummy served over fresh asparagus, broccoli or cauliflower. This is an adaption of my Mom’s hollandaise. I like the addition of fresh herbs to the sauce especially if I am making eggs Benedict. This recipe will make about ¾ - 1 cup sauce. You really should serve it immediately, but if you have to hold it for a bit, a double boiler works well, if stirred often.

Hollandaise sauce

·½ cup butter (unsalted) If using salted butter, do not add any salt to the sauce
·3 egg yolks
·1 ½ TBLS lemon juice
·1 TBLS boiling water
·a smidgeon (grains only) cayenne pepper *opt
·finely minced fresh basil, savory, thyme *opt

In a saucepan melt the butter. Don’t let it brown. In a separate bowl beat together the egg yolks, lemon juice, pepper and salt if using unsalted butter. Add boiling water to the beaten eggs..blend well and slowly combine with two teaspoons of the melted butter and beat well with a whisk, allowing it to emulsify. Continue adding teaspoon by teaspoon the melted butter slowly until you’ve used about 4 TBLS or so, whisking in all the while. On low heat cooking the egg/butter mix quickly, about 20 seconds. Keep whisking while cooking. Just as it begins to thicken add the fresh herbs to the sauce and whisk once again. Remove from heat and serve. Enjoy!

9 comments:

The Italian Dish said...

Well, this is right up my alley and how great you made it yourself. Looks delicious.

Karen said...

My weekday breakfasts are usually dinner leftovers from the night before! I have to do that in order to get all this food I've been making lately eaten up! I still have some homemade english muffins in the freezer and think I'll make your Hollandaise Sauce this weekend!

Karen said...

I had to come back and tell you I looked at Merriland Farm Cafe site. OMG, it sounds wonderful! There are so many delicious items on the menu...how do you *ever* decide what to eat??!! LOL

YankeeSoaper said...

Thanks Laurie!

I'm glad you are going to try it Karen.. it'll help clear out your freezer too ;) And it is a challenge choosing at Merriland.

Anonymous said...

Hi Buddy! Make me breakfast? ;)

YankeeSoaper said...

Anytime Maryann! ;)

Chef Chuck said...

How about Sundays Breakfast??
I could always grab a flight!
Yummm

YankeeSoaper said...

You're on Chuck! :) But you'll have to bring me some of your homegrown garlic as well :D

Jamie said...

Really gorgeous! But this to me is a real meal - dinner! So rich and flavorful.