Saturday, May 10, 2008

Spring Rhubarb

I found my pie plates!! [Though my favorite mixing bowl has yet to be found..ugh!] Move over asparagus and fiddleheads.. it's time for dessert!
One of my favorite desserts of Spring is strawberry rhubarb pie. Yesterday while visiting my friend Bill at Fern Cottage Gardens farm to dig up some echinachea plants, I spotted a huge rhubarb patch!

I've always loved the look of this marvelous plant with it's brilliant magenta stalks and breaking off that first spring stalk to taste that wonderful tarty flavor. But moreso I love how versatile rhubarb is, paired with other sweet fruits.. apples, strawberries, or blueberries along with a bit of sugar and some cinnamon. In crisps, pies, cobblers, jams and tartlettes.. it's a favorite, hands down in our house. So after I finished all my digging, I grabbed enough of these beauties to bring home and bake a pie.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Pastry for 9-inch double crust pie or a ready made pie crust in your grocers freezer

Pie filling:

2 1/2 cups rhubarb, diced into 1/2 inch chunks
2 cups strawberries,cleaned, hulled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
4 tbsp cornstarch
1 pad, butter
1 tsp cinnamon sugar
2 tsp strawberry rhubarb jam (opt)

Mix above ingredients and let sit about 10 minutes. Put the bottom of the crust in the pie plate. You can do a simple lattice or just do a whole second crust on top.

This a juicy pie, so be sure to line it with a baking sheet to avoid oven spillage. Brush the crust lightly with milk & egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream. Enjoy!



Thanks again Bill, for my new additions to the perennial beds and for sharing your lovely rhubarb patch with me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I really should experiment with rhubarb. It's an unknown veggie in my world. Your pie is the bomb!

joe@italyville.com said...

yum! we used to pick rhubarb stalks and dip them in sugar. Great memories.

YankeeSoaper said...

Thanks Maryann.. do give it a try! :)

I do remember those days as well Joe.. & scrubbing our pink little fingers once we were full! Great memories indeed. LOL