Friday, August 12, 2011

Goodness from the garden



Do you recall my post back in the Spring for some new vegetable and herb seeds I ordered from a new supplier? Well I have to say I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome of that purchase. Everything I planted has come up beautifully, especially the genovese basil. And though I use a lot of fresh basil in my meals around here.. this week I'm having a difficult time using it up before it goes to flower--so a quick pesto was in order for lunch this week.

I had been roasting tomatoes all morning and thought, why not? Crusty artisan bread from my friend Robin, covered in fresh walnut pesto and topped off with still warm roasted tomatoes with their scrumptious herbal garlicky juice. Lunch was splendid!

Basil Pesto with walnuts


2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup walnuts, or toasted pine nuts if you prefer
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
4 TBLS extra-virgin olive oil
2 TBLS water
1 large clove garlic, quartered
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Place basil, walnuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, oil, water, garlic, and pepper in a food processor. I omit any salt in this recipe, as the cheese is salty enough for me. Pulse just a few times, then process until fairly smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally. I'll bet you can't resist dipping your finger in for a sample of this goodness. ;-) Fresh basil is so prolific this time of year and pesto is so simple pesto is to prepare. Try some--you'll love it. Enjoy!



2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Jady!!!

I've been trying to get here for days (perhaps weeks:) I too have an abundance of basil calling to me. I suppose another pesto can't hurt. I've just learned a new blender trick that I'll be posting about tomorrow. I think I'll try your recipe and see how it works in the blender. (it should I think:)

I'm so glad to hear that supplier worked out. The heirloom tomato seeds I ordered for the first time from a new person also seem to being doing quite well although, I did lose one plant.

I know you are really busy but if you get a chance, I'd love for you to see one post I did in particular. Here's the link for when you get a chance.

It has been such a glorious season hasn't it, Jady, I shun the thought of it getting too cool too fast...

Karen said...

Give me a glass of wine and a couple of these and I'd be set for lunch!