Monday, August 16, 2010

Chicken Marsala

This is one of my favorite chicken dishes, and one I make often, it seems we never tire of it. It’s quick enough to whip up on a weeknight, and always a hit when served to dinner guests. So if you need a dish that looks like you've been slaving in a hot kitchen all afternoon, give this a try-- it's just wonderful.

The best part for me is the mushrooms - they absorb all the flavor from the marsala wine and delicately rich sauce. I served this with Jamie Oliver's recipe for chilled roasted vegetable farro salad. The salad was very flavorful, but I couldn't get past the coldness - so I warmed it up a bit before serving.

If you don't have any Marsala wine on hand, and need to pick some up, just be certain of two things -- You don’t need anything too expensive, and make sure it’s just regular dry Marsala wine, and not Sweet Marsala, a desert wine, and too sweet for this dish. This same recipe can also be made the with veal cutlets with very nice results.



Chicken Marsala

1/4 cup flour
4 boned & skinless chicken breast, pounded flat-- cut into medalians
sea salt and white pepper
1 TBLS butter
2 TBLS olive oil
2 oz of dry Marsala wine
3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chicken stock
juice of half a fresh lemon
1 TBLS fresh parsley, minced

Season the flour with salt and pepper. Lightly dredge the chicken medalians with seasoned flour. Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium size skillet. Place the chicken pieces in the pan and brown on both sides. Once browned remove from pan and set aside.

Add the Marsala wine to your pan and gently bring it to a boil. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice and stir in the sliced mushrooms. Lower the heat and cook for about 10 minutes reducing the sauce. Return the cooked chicken medalians to the pan and spoon over the Marsala sauce. Cook for five minutes more on each side until warmed through. Sprinkle on some fresh parsley and serve with roasted vegetable farro salad or over linguini or pasta of choice Enjoy!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

This looks delicious! I am so hungry this morning.. I really should have breakfast before I visit my favorite blogs.. because now I'm not going to be satisfied with granola!

Ciao and have a great week!!

Karen said...

One of my favorties, too, Jady, along with Chicken Picatta!

YankeeSoaper said...

LOL, thanks Laurie-- but granola is so good for you! :)

YankeeSoaper said...

You are reading my mind again Karen.. picatta is my 2nd fave dish too!

La Bella Cooks said...

I never tired of chicken marsala. It is definitely one of our favorites for us. Your mushrooms look delicious as well.

Chef Chuck said...

This chicken has my mouth watering!! Yumm.....

YankeeSoaper said...

And this is a good thing, yes Chuck? :+) Hope your summer has been wonderful!

YankeeSoaper said...

Thanks Bridget--it's a big hit around here too :)