Thursday, December 10, 2009

Louisa's Lemon Cake Pudding

A few weeks back I posted my limoncello recipe on a sister blog and my friend Louise over at Months of Edible Celebrations commented with a recipe she thought I might enjoy. I'm pretty fond of lemon anything, so I was pretty happy to receive this recipe thinking I would get to making it right away. But these past weeks have been my busiest time of the year, and now that all my farmers markets and holiday shows have ended for the year I jumped right on the chance to try this one before I begin my Christmas baking project for the Elders.

I have to say, it wasn't like anything I've eaten before. The sensation of a lemony crusted topping blended with the custard was heavenly in my palate. Similar to a lemon curd, but much much lighter. I'm attributing this to the addition of the peaked egg whites. Preparation and assembly, simply a breeze, and we absolutely enjoyed every bit of it last night for dessert. The only changes I made to the recipe was the addition of some lemon zest to the pudding and dusted the tops with confectionary after they had cooled, and in my oven it needed to bake 10 minutes more to give it that golden crust. I hope you'll give it a try, especially if you are a lemon lover like me. Thanks so much again for your recipe Louise, it was just awesome and will be made often here!





Louise wrote...

I did a post on the invention of the lemon squeezer a while back and included a recipe I think you will find curious. it’s called Lemon Cake Top Pudding. The recipe says it will form a cake top with a layer of custard below. I plan on trying someday.(Hopefully:)


Lemon Cake Top Pudding
(I changed the name.. hey, this is an Italian blog :+)

2 tbs. flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbs. butter
2 egg yolks beaten
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup milk

Cream flour, sugar and butter. Add egg yolks, lemon juice, and milk. Fold in 2 egg whites stiffly beaten. Bake in 8 inch pudding dish or individual custard cups (not buttered), set in a pan of warm water. {I used six custard cups}. Bake 35 minutes in 350 degree oven. Enjoy!

10 comments:

joe@italyville.com said...

The crunchy top is right down my ally Jady... nice touch.

Rosa said...

Yummy. It's very similar to the lemon delicious I make. Only I have a quarter orange juice, a quarter lemon juice and half a glass of milk, and I cream lemon rind with the butter and sugar too. My kids fight for it!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Sounds like it would be a refreshing dessert after a heavy holiday meal.

~~louise~~ said...

Oh my goodness, Jady! You baked "my" cake! How can I ever thank you???

It looks absolutely heavenly. I adore your personal touches. I'm delighted to know it was a hit in your little corner of the world.

I'm going to share this on my post, Thank you so very much,

YankeeSoaper said...

Thanks Joe!

YankeeSoaper said...

Thanks Scintilla.. what a nice twist to your recipe. I might have to give that a try too ;)

YankeeSoaper said...

This is what appealed to me the most Linda.. the lightness of it all, a nice dessert after a big meal.

YankeeSoaper said...

Louise.. it was a pleasure and so scrumptious, thank you!

Karen said...

Oh yum! I love the little crunchy cake layer on top of that custard! I'm making this tonite. Thanks Jady!

Arlene Delloro said...

Found you on karencooks. This is a great recipe, one I'll make soon.